Challenge Week 5: Memories

Emma O

Throughout my life I’ve done a lot of wrong, but also a lot of right. I’ve made mistakes, but I have one that is my favorite. It’s a simple one, but it made me change the way I think. Backtrack three years ago, on a pleasant Wednesday afternoon. That’s where it all started.

Three years ago I never would’ve thought that my way of thinking was going to change forever. See on this Wednesday afternoon, I was at home alone. I was absolutely starving, but I didn’t want to eat any of the plain jane food in our fridge or pantry. I wanted something fun, zesty, something with a kick to eat and maybe a sweet drink.

I hesitated, turning the door nob then slowly backing away, constantly looking out the peep hole of the garage door, and pacing in my living room for what felt like five hours was but was probably only two. When finally I got the guts to man up and run like I was on fire to the Valero, I did.

I arrived to my forbiden destination, out of breath and panting like a dog. I started checking out all of the yummy snacks. I didn’t pay very much attention to the tasty snacks though because I was too worried that one of my parents might come strolling in. I ducked down into the aisles and occassionally popped my head up like an ostrich to see if anyone was coming through the door.

Then, low and behold, my step-dad and my brother come walking in. I rushed and hid in the bathroom for what seemed like forever. I slipped my head out the door to see if they are gone. Thank goodness, they were. I ran home like a madman was chasing me. I threw my bag from the store over the fence to make it look like I didn’t have any food. I tried to act casual and keep it cool as if nothing ever really happened. That didn’t seem to work out very well. They got home five minutes before I did and noticed I was gone.
He called my mom while she was on her way home and she was furious. She then contacted my dad who was equaly as mad. Later that night I was told I was going to be grounded for two weeks. That meant no television, no friends, and extra chores.

No, I didn’t like the consequences, but I had to accept them. The lesson I learned and what my parents both taught me, to never leave the house when no one is home. But what they really taught me was to be more careful, more aware of my surroundings. I was only in the fourth grade and I didn’t know what I was doing. I could have been kidnapped and taken away and that would have broken my family’s heart. So from that day forward I never left the house when I was home alone again.